Rachel Held Evans – blog.
Rachel Held Evans expresses very well what I, and other piost-evangelicals like me, feel about all this. Here is a little quote:
‘…when you grow up believing everyone outside evangelical Christianity is going to get spewed from God’s mouth at best or cooked for eternity in hell at worst, when the people you love most in the world belong to the evangelical community and want you to belong to it too, making a deliberate step out of that tradition is a big deal.’
Entering Post-Evangelical Faith: No Longer the Sort of Christian I Once Was | Musings of a Hardlining Moderate.
My friend Carson Clark has an amazing gift of putting his (or should I say ‘our’?) theological and spiritual struggles in the right words.
I fully agree with him. I still consider myself an evangelical, be it rather (post)evangelical.
Here is the comment I have left on this post:
You did it again for me. That is where I am too, a post-evangelical Eastern Anglican Christian.
Like you, I adhere to a revised version of Bebbington’s four evangelical characteristics. which I label on my blog (in a post written in Romanian – https://danutm.wordpress.com/20… as:
1. biblical revelationism, rather than ‘biblicism’;
2. Christocentric Trinitariansm, rather than ‘crucicentrism’;
3. holistic transformism, rather than ‘conversionism’; and
4. incarnational engagement, rather than ‘activism’.
I admit it is a bit convoluted, but that is where I am now.
Unlike you, however, for me, post-evangelical is still, largely speaking, evangelical (in the same way that post-modern is still, to a large extent, modernistic).
Carol Howard Merritt is a pastor of Western Presbyterian Church, an intergenerational congregation in Washington, D.C.
In a recent post on her blog, TribalChurch, she identifies what she describes as ‘seven things guys need to know about post-evangelical women (PEWs)’.
Here is the list:
1) We were told to keep silent in church.
2) We’re not welcome at every table
3) We don’t want to hear whining about forced quotas. Continue reading “Carol Howard Merritt – Seven Things Guys Need To Know About Post-Evangelical Women”