Here are 10 things you need to know about Karl Barth’s theology:
1. Jesus Christ is the Word of God in the Bible. He is the gospel, God’s good news to us. Therefore, he is the measuring stick that must be used to judge all theological ideas.
2. The life of Jesus Christ reveals who God really is and who we really are.
3. The union between God and humanity in Jesus Christ reveals God’s purpose to live in fellowship with us.
4. In his death, Jesus Christ suffered the judgment of our sin. In him the life of sin was put to death.
5. The resurrection of Jesus Christ brings the future forward, revealing our true destiny as life and hope.
6. The gospel is not only promise, it is also law, teaching us to say No to sin, and to say Yes to God, to ourselves, and to our fellow human beings.
7. Faith is choosing God, accepting his verdict on our sin, giving up our attempts to justify ourselves and accepting Christ as the basis of our justification before God.
8. Love is giving ourselves to God and to others, choosing their good over our own good.
9. Hope is believing the promise of God for the future that has been revealed in the resurrection of Jesus Christ.
10. Truth is not an abstract collection of ideas, but a personal encounter with the living God that transforms all our relationships.
(Source, Barth for Dummies, on facebook. Thanks to Manu Rusu for the link.)