The violent conflict between Israel and Hamas has now claimed the lives of nearly 600 Gazans (estimated 70% civilians) and about 30 Israelis (including two civilians). Last week, the Israeli military expanded its assault with a ground incursion, which drastically increased casualties on both sides. Israel’s stated goal for this war is destroying tunnels that Hamas can use for terrorism and stopping rocket fire from Hamas. Both sides have turned down cease fire proposals. Israel claims to be warning civilians to leave targeted areas, but in cramped conditions in the Gaza Strip, where would they go? One interesting twist is that this time around, portrayals in the media aren’t going quite as well as the Israelis would like.
- Prayer is a good place to start, but perhaps not the only tactic we should take.
- We can give to organizations responding to the humanitarian needs.
- We can hear the stories and stand in solidarity with our fellow brothers and sisters in Christ suffering in Gaza.
- We can carefully examine the underlying causes and speak for their redemption.
- We can reaffirm our commitment to the Israeli people, while also confronting them where they’ve gone astray.
- We can unequivocally condemn all violence, from both sides.
- We can express our concern with legislators who do not share our views.